Tuesday, April 23, 2013

I Believe in Butter.


How gorgeous is that?!? I love butter. It's amazing how much better things taste with butter. This pile of butter was used to make a shrimp dish. I have determined that that is fish in it's intended environment -- swimming not in salt water, but in butter. Wow.

My friend Caitlin and I took a cooking class together last month at Marcela's Creole Cookery in downtown Seattle. It was so fun! We decided to go for the full experience. We shared a bottle of wine, we each purchased the bags of housemade creole seasoning and bottles of crab boil, and we ordered the extra dessert when it was offered at the end of the meal. It was more of a cooking demonstration than a class. For the most part we just sat and watched and ate but it was very relaxing and the food was wonderful and I found the chef to be very entertaining. We had shrimp gumbo, barbeque shrimp (nothing barbeque about it -- the shrimp was swimming in a garlic, creole, butter sauce and served over crostinis), smothered chicken with potatoes and broccoli, and, my personal favorite, pecan pie. I would love to do more things like this. It was such a great outing!


Caitlin with the Chef Anthony...

... helping to serve up some food.


Just stirring and drinking. When I got up to stir, I left my wineglass on our table but Chef Anthony informed me that I would be stirring for a while and made sure that my glass was full again before bringing it over to me.
Here are a few random photos from my kitchen experiences in the last few months.

Sweet potato muffins -- these recipe did not turn out how I wanted it to. I love sweet potatoes and the look of the cinnamon crunch topping on these muffins was particularly enticing but I made the mistake of following the recipe, against my better judgement, which resulted in a flavor combo that I was not a fan of. There was a lot of orange zest in the muffins as well as some chopped nuts. I should have leaned more on the brown sugar and cinnamon flavors, omitted the orange entirely, and saved the chopped nuts only for a streusel type of topping. But sweet potatoes are so darn pretty, I had to include the picture anyway.


Chicken tortilla soup! I was very proud of this meal and can't wait to make it again! I made a jalapeno roasted chicken earlier in the week (my first roast chicken!) and then made a stock out of the carcass. I felt so gourmet! I loved the whole process of boiling the carcass and then skimming off the fat and using the homemade stock to make a soup. The tortilla chips and feta cheese on top made it particularly tasty.

I am loving this quick (and cute!) little dessert right now. It started by accident when I had some left over pie crust dough  a while ago. I rolled out a piece of it and baked it for Steven (he really likes just plain crust) and then I made a little pocked pie for myself. I put a scoop of  my homemade apple butter inside with a few little slivers of butter and then sprinkled cinnamon and sugar on the top. These are so tasty and I particularly love that it's all homemade but the apple filling is pre-made so it's less of a chore to put them together.


And our current favorite vegetable -- roasted Brussel's sprouts. Well, I don't know if it's Steven's favorite but it is certainly my favorite. Especially with salmon! Yum. Such a perfect dinner.

And there's the food update for now. It had been a little too long since my last food post :)

No comments:

Post a Comment