Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Thankful Students.

My kiddos have been hard at work decorating the classroom for Thanksgiving. I've really hit hard on the "thankfulness" theme this month. We've done multiple projects that required them to write about what they are thankful for and they were specifically told not to write toys, ipads, or video games. They actually did really well! I made them fill out a list of "25 Things I am Thankful For" and about 10 lines into it they had to start getting creative. They started writing things like "Education, so I can get a good job" and "my health so I can come to school and have fun" and "my home, so I don't have to live in the cold and the snow." I was so proud of them! I felt like they were really getting it. They were starting to think about the things that they're lucky to have even if they take them for granted most of the time. Some of it is still a bit difficult for them to grasp but it was a start anyhow.
 
 This particular project didn't have a whole lot to do with actually being thankful for anything but it sure was fun.


We read the book 'Twas the Night Before Thanksgiving and then they each got to decorate a turkey. All of the turkeys are picketing and holding signs that say things like "East More Fruit." They turned out pretty darn cute and the kids LOVED the project!




 Here are a few of my favorite turkeys:




This huge cornucopia is supposed to be overflowing with things we're thankful for. The students wrote all kinds of things they're thankful for on the foods before coloring them. The photo above includes all of the food items that I printed out for them to write thankful things and color.


This photo (above) shows what the board looked like after they brought in a bunch more food items that they made at home. Wow!


Phew! Now I just have to come up with projects to cover the boards for the month of December! Yikes! These holidays during fall quarter are a bit too close together. We have been busy busy busy. The other day I overheard one of the kids say, "Another activity? Wow, we're certainly never bored in Mrs. Lentz's class!" That's what I like to hear!!

Oh man, this was the longest short week ever! Heather and I went to Zumba tonight and have a special Thanksgiving Zumba class in Enumclaw bright and early tomorrow morning. Can't wait! I love it. It feels so good and it is so much fun and it's so good to be around lots of other smiling happy women.

Happy Thanksgiving tomorrow -- yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment