Friday, November 23, 2012

A Parducci Family Thanksgiving.

The very best kind if you ask me. It's an evening that I look forward to all year long! Steven and I had a nice relaxing day together. He was supposed to work at the climbing gym today but the class we was scheduled to teach was cancelled. I was SO HAPPY to hear that! Heather and I were off to Zumba bright and early and when I got home, I made breakfast for Steven and I. We made pies, and watched TV and just sort of laid around. He even managed to squeeze in a few minutes of Halo with the Piehler boys. We went up to my mom's late in the afternoon and played a couple of games before going over to Grammi's.
 

Look at these rolls! Aren't they perfect! I want to eat five of them right now.


And here's the turkey. Have I told you about my tradition? It's a pretty strange one. I love turkey and I especially like it straight from the oven and right off the bird. It's true. So a few years ago I learned how to make gravy so that I would be allowed to stand in the kitchen near the turkey. If you've ever been to a Parducci family dinner then you know how much Grammi likes to complain about how small her kitchen is and how she's constantly asking everyone to leave the kitchen so she can get things done, but as long as I'm stirring, I'm permitted to stay. So I have become the gravy maker and I stir with my left hand while picking at the turkey with my right hand. Am I seriously admitting this on a public blog? Apparently so. And then after a while my mom usually walks by and snags a finger full of turkey and then Uncle Barry comes in to carve the turkey and we both stand there and eat all of the little pieces that fall off. By the time it gets to dinner, I don't really need much turkey on my plate and am usually already somewhat full.


Oh, that's nice guys. They really didn't want to take a nice picture.



Our beautiful dining table with all of the crystal and the fancy silverware. It's getting more and more difficult to fit everyone around the dining table so we also had a "kids' table" set up in the front room. It's nice to all be able to eat in the same room even if we can't be at the same table.


A little pre-dinner cribbage lesson.


Dinner! Everything was so tasty! Even the dishes that aren't normally my favorite were absolutely fantastic. We had chocolate mousse pie and pecan pie for dessert and we played lots of Catch Phrase. My favorite moment of the night was when the Catch Phrase was passed to Uncle Barry and he just started to laugh and said "does anybody know who Hermoin Granger is?" I couldn't believe he completely missed the whole Harry Potter craze! Come on! He's usually pretty caught up on the pop culture stuff. I love my family. We had a wonderful holiday together.

I helped Grammi pick out her Christmas tree this morning. She was feeling a little stressed about getting her Christmas decorations up before they leave for Puerta Vallarta tomorrow morning so I went over there to help her out a little bit. Her house looks all nice and Christmassy and the tree is ready for Uncle Scott and I to decorate it sometime soon.



Mom and Tara and I braved the terrential downpour this afternoon to do a little Christmas shoping at at craft bazaar in Country Village. We got a couple of fun gifts and I finally found some vintage looking firefighter fabric to use for Steven's Christmas stocking. Now to find a perfect Christmas fabric for myself and then all I had to do is figure out how to make a stocking. I'm hoping it will be a fairly easy process.

We're off to have a second Thanksgiving dinner at Dad's tonight :)

No comments:

Post a Comment